The John Aitchison Award for Outstanding Contribution
Recognising those members who have ‘gone the extra mile’ for the benefit of the BHBIA membership
Following the sad news that John Aitchison passed away in May 2020, the award has been renamed ‘The John Aitchison Award for Outstanding Contribution’, in memory of John’s exceptional commitment to the BHBIA and the industry - read more about John here.
The 2020 winner is Matt Beckett, CSL.
Matt was nominated for his work as Chair of the BHBIA's Ethics & Compliance Committee:
“Matt is a fantastic committee chair. He is totally on the ball as far as all the committee's work is concerned, even those topics which are outside his usual areas of expertise.
But most importantly he is a great manager of the team - he treats everyone with respect and takes time to get the most from people, whilst never forgetting that they are all volunteers with demanding day jobs.”
In accepting the award, Matt said:
"I really appreciate being recognised among so many that give their time for the BHBIA, and to win an award with John’s name on it makes it all the more special. The Ethics and Compliance team are a pleasure to be involved with, and I’m lucky to have that opportunity. At last – a positive memory to take away from 2020!"
Nominations for 2021 will open in September
Read on for more information about the award, including the full timetable:
This award recognises those members who have ‘gone the extra mile’ for the benefit of the BHBIA membership.
Members are invited to nominate those individuals who they think have made an outstanding contribution to the organisation and its members during the year and the winners are then selected by the BHBIA Board.
The winner(s) are announced in December and then formally presented with their awards at the Annual Conference the following May.
Examples of members who might deserve this award could include:
- Someone who has helped to raise standards of legal and ethical compliance through their work on guidelines initiatives
- Someone who has made a significant contribution to education and/or the promotion of best practice through their involvement in training courses/events
- Someone who has put an exceptional amount of effort into the activities of a committee such as the Fieldwork Forum or BOBI Committee.
These are just some examples - we welcome nominations in any area of BHBIA activity. Read on for more information.
- All nominees must be a member of the BHBIA and you cannot nominate yourself.
- Current members of the BHBIA Board are not eligible to be nominated for these awards, nor are employees or anyone contracted to work on behalf of the organisation.
- You can submit more than one nomination if you like - please use a separate form for each.
The Award is made in the form of BHBIA training and events vouchers to be used by the end of the following year, thus allowing personal members to attend an event that would otherwise too expensive or rewarding the companies who provide time for people to work on BHBIA activities.
The winner also receives a high quality, engraved glass trophy.
To see past winners, click on the link on the right hand side of this page.
Timetable for the Outstanding Contribution Award:
- Nominations open: Early September
- Deadline for nominations: Mid September - date for 2021 to be announced
- Nominations reviewed by BHBIA Board: October - November
- Winner(s) announced: December
- Presentation of Award to winner(s): May the following year (at the BHBIA Annual Conference)