Thursday 28 January 2021, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
This highly practical one-day workshop will ‘unpick the magic’ behind excellent conference presenting. Based on the highly successful in-person workshop that we have run in previous years, this new virtual offering will comprise a mix of interactive and experiential sessions covering the physiological, psychological and practical aspects of presenting.
- Delegates will also be given access to a hypnotherapy session to download and use to overcome any potential performance anxiety
- A new module focusing on the considerations for virtual presenting will also be provided
- Presentation ‘clinic’ sessions will be run during the day, providing an opportunity for delegates to practise and receive actionable feedback on their conference presentation skills and style. These provide a fantastic opportunity to further brainstorm ideas with trainers and delegates for ways in which their conference delivery can be made even more engaging
The day is particularly tailored to those who will be presenting at the 2021 BHBIA Annual Conference, but is suitable for anyone who would like to hone their skills in presenting to larger audiences.
The workshop will be designed and delivered by two highly experienced trainers and presenters, each bringing unique individual skills and background. Having two facilitators means richer insights for delegates, and will keep the feedback ‘fresh’ as the speakers alternate to lead the sessions. They will also be able to provide tips for those who will be co-presenting at Conference.
- How to hit the ground running with a strong and clear delivery
- The magical use of hooks, open loops and presuppositions to engage your audience and techniques to maintain engagement
- Managing your own internal state to improve your delivery and maintain audience engagement
- Displaying visual information in a conference setting to help you present clearly and keep your audience on board
- Techniques to facilitate the management of dual presentations
- Techniques on how to present virtually, including tips and tricks on managing the immediate environment (lighting, background etc)
Participants will be asked to prepare a short PowerPoint presentation (ideally based on the Conference paper to be presented – if applicable) in advance that they will present during the workshop.
Using a specific and non-threatening feedback model, delegates will be encouraged to self-critique their ‘performance’ before receiving constructive feedback from fellow delegates and trainers, specifically targeted at improving their own unique presentation style and delivery.
Lesley Lyle holds a variety of roles both professionally and in her community that all involve aspects of health, happiness and wellbeing. After spending 40 years working in the aviation industry as cabin crew, trainer, recruiter and wellbeing advisor she retired from British Airways in 2015. During this time, she gained a DipHE in Clinical Hypnotherapy at St Mary’s University she began started her own wellbeing clinic in the New Forest where she lives. She is an Associate Lecturer on the MSc course Applied Positive Psychology at Buckinghamshire University where she gained her own Master degree in this subject. An advanced member of Toastmasters, she has worked organisations and private companies in the UK and overseas including the Government of UAE. She is the Ambassador for the World Happiness Summit (WOHASU) and presents and attends conferences and speaking events around the world. Author of the book ‘Laugh Your Way to Happiness: how to use the surprising science of laughter for wellbeing’, Lesley runs a free laughter club in her community and writes for several publications including Happify and Psychology Today. She is currently involved in researching and co-writing a book on the subject of positive ageing with Dr Piers Worth, Reader at Bucks University. She believes that laughter and joy are the best ingredients to bring to every endeavour and one of the greatest secrets of success.
Ric Hayden’s passion for training and presenting has seen him grow a 20-year career in learning and people development. After studying for a master’s degree in Applied Psychology he combined this with a strong commercial ability which would eventually lead him into the role of Head of Learning & Development at Rentokil Initial. Here he launched the Leadership Academy and the Sales Academy for all UK and European businesses. Since then he has set up his own training and development consultancy working with small, medium and large global businesses.
Ric has extensive skills and knowledge for delivering training and development workshops both face-to-face and virtually. He currently supports a number of other training organisations as they transition to virtual delivery.
Ric has an energetic and enthusiastic outlook towards Talent, People and Development, with expertise in the wider Learning and Development arena, as well as Organisational Development and Capability experience. He is a creative thinker with the ability to develop unique responses to the needs of individuals.
'Early bird' delegate fees for bookings made on or before 3rd December 2020:
- Members: £315 + VAT
- Non-Members: £405 + VAT
(These prices include a 10% early booking discount).
Cancellation Policy for early bird bookings: full fee payable / no refunds given; however a substitute delegate can be accepted. (Our standard cancellation policy does not apply).
Delegate Fees for bookings made after 3rd December 2020:
- Members: £350 + VAT
- Non-Members: £450 + VAT
Cancellation Policy: standard cancellation policy applies, as stated on booking form