The BHBIA is committed to increasing the focus on improving Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (D, E & I) in all our practices, and to supporting our member companies to do the same.
We have recently set up a D, E & I working group of BHBIA member volunteers (View the group members and our objectives here). As the group's work progresses, we will keep members informed, but in the meantime we hope you will find this bank of guidance, information and resources useful to help you move forward in this area.
If you would like to suggest a document / link for addition to the resource bank please contact us with details.
Links to these resources are provided for information purposes only. The BHBIA’s decision to make this information available does not infer endorsement of any of the content and nor do we accept any responsibility for its accuracy. This is not an exhaustive list of all the relevant information that's available - we welcome further suggestions for inclusion.
Business Intelligence / Market Research / Pharmaceutical Industry Associations - Resources & Guidance
- A network uniting LGBTQ+ professionals and allies across the research, insight and analytics sector
- 'The ABPI exists to make the UK the best place in the world to research, develop and use the medicines and vaccines of the future. Creating diverse and inclusive workplaces that deliver innovations to improve the lives of everyone in the UK is critical if we are to deliver on our mission.'
- This strategy sets out how the ABPI can work with their members to help drive this change.
BHBIA and Member Companies - Resources & Activities
- The team demonstrated, through collaboration and sensitivity, that deep insight into the needs of a marginalised and vulnerable community was possible, thereby laying the foundations for a patient-centric strategy that supports delivery of the shared goal of HCV elimination.
- Studies had identified an association between certain socio-economic and ethnic groups and lower levels of uptake of the HPV vaccine amongst young girls - so this project sought to understand how to tackle this.
- Run by OPEN Health, this webinar questions how truly patient-centric materials developed by Pharma really are. The presenters provide attendees with guiding principles for developing patient materials (from research materials through to supporting assets around a condition or treatment).
- In this video, Origins Health Insights discuss health equity and accessing the true patient population. Health equity means equal access to healthcare for all - not just from a logistical point of view - but an equal right to the understanding about health and treatments. This means understanding the true patient population that's representative of society and those who will benefit from a product, not just those who are most likely to come forward for market research.
Hall & Partners
- We commemorate Black History Month and Juneteenth with time for reflection and internal discussions/recommendations around relevant books/films.
- We also have delivered a series of internal training sessions under the umbrella of ‘UnLearn’, for example: ‘Microaggressions’ discussion with Professor Tandalea Mercer, ‘Understanding and discussing cultural appropriation’ workshop, ‘Anti-racism and active allyship’ workshop.
Help with conducting market research studies
- Guidance and templates for D, E & I surveys.
- Guidance on how to ask demographic questions, including topics such as ethnicity, gender and age.
- Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Philanthropies is a global organization that seeks to improve lives, strengthen communities and advance equity. They developed this guide 'for organizations that seek to apply a diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) lens to their internal data collection processes and assess and improve how they collect constituent information through tools such as alumni surveys and program evaluations. This guide does not address data collection for formal demography, national population estimates or academic research.'
- This UK organisation is dedicated to supporting medical research charities in saving and improving lives through research and innovation. Their resources may be helpful to those conducting patient research.
Recruitment and Human Resources
Inclusion and Diversity - how to promote equal opportunities and manage inclusion and diversity in the workplace.
A variety of resources to help support equal opportunities, managing inclusion and diversity in the workplace.
- This organisation provides employee engagement, performance and development tools including some useful D, E & I resources. Includes a downloadable booklet: '6 actionable areas to improve DEI in your workplace'
- This US-based organisation provides a range of DEI resources including a Decision Tree framework to help managers and leaders determine team goals, commitment, and support needs.
- 'Common Purpose is a not-for-profit organization that develops leaders who can cross boundaries.' 'Cultural Intelligence (CQ) is the ability to cross divides – between geographies, generations, sectors, specializations, backgrounds and beliefs – and thrive in multiple cultures.'
Reports, Surveys and Data
- This report found widespread recognition of diversity and inclusion challenges within the market and social research sector and an appetite for change.
- This report is based on an evidence-into-practice programme, which brought together professional expertise on diversity and inclusion (D&I) with insights from scientific research.
- This 2020 report is the third in a series. It found that 'The business case for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) is stronger than ever. Taking a closer look at diversity winners reveals what can drive real progress.'
- A study that asked life sciences professionals around the world how diverse and inclusive they feel their industry truly is.
- These break out salary data by gender and ethnicity.
There are some awards schemes that include D, E & I categories:
- Includes new 'Diversity and Inclusion Team of the Year'
- Includes new 'Leadership Award for Action on Workforce Diversity and Inclusion'
- "Inclusive Leadership” – Book by Charlotte Sweeney and Fleur Bothwick, Pearson/FT Publishing 2016
- Verna Myers x 3 free access TED Talks (2019, 2020, 2021): https://www.vernamyers.com/
- “Citizen – An American Lyric” – Book by Claudia Rankine, Penguin Books, 2014
- Race Matters - webinar series - from Korn Ferry - global organizational consulting firm