The BHBIA is committed to increasing the focus on improving Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) in all our practices, and to supporting our member companies to do the same.
We hope you will find this bank of guidance, information and resources useful to help you move forward in this area; it's organised according to the key questions you may want to find answers to.
Links to these resources are provided for information purposes only. The BHBIA’s decision to make this information available does not infer endorsement of any of the content and nor do we accept any responsibility for its accuracy. This is not an exhaustive list of all the relevant information that's available - we welcome further suggestions for inclusion.
View slides and recordings from the BHBIA September 2022 virtual event 'Embracing DE&I' (full BHBIA members only)
- "Inclusive Leadership” – Book by Charlotte Sweeney and Fleur Bothwick, Pearson/FT Publishing 2016
- “Citizen – An American Lyric” – Book by Claudia Rankine, Penguin Books, 2014
- Jane Elliott's "Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes" Anti-Racism Exercise - episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show in which award-winning anti-racism activist and educator Jane Elliott taught the audience a tough lesson about racism by demonstrating just how easy it is to learn prejudice.
- 'Will Britain ever have a Black Prime Minister' - BBC documentary long) illuminating racism through the pipeline in the UK, from birth - to education - to a career, and the part that is played by unconscious bias
- Verna Myers x 3 free access TED Talks (2019, 2020, 2021)
- Race Matters - webinar series - from Korn Ferry – global organizational consulting firm
BHBIA Member Survey - May 2022 - thanks to all who took part. A summary of the findings is available as a download, and BHBIA members can also view the full findings.
ABPI Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy - 'The ABPI exists to make the UK the best place in the world to research, develop and use the medicines and vaccines of the future. Creating diverse and inclusive workplaces that deliver innovations to improve the lives of everyone in the UK is critical if we are to deliver on our mission.' This strategy sets out how the ABPI can work with their members to help drive this change.
“Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Insights Profession” - U.S. Census report which combines the results of two recent surveys by the Insights Association’s IDEA Council: the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Survey (DEI Survey) and the Culture Survey.
We must do more to create diverse environments - Research Live article April 2022 - The research industry should do more to improve diversity and inclusion, argues Caroline Frankum of Kantar. What do organisations need to do to make sure they are not just scratching the surface?
Inclusion, diversity and equality in the market research sector, 2020 - MRS report - This report found widespread recognition of diversity and inclusion challenges within the market and social research sector and an appetite for change.
Report: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Life Sciences 2021 - from Informa Connect - A study that asked life sciences professionals around the world how diverse and inclusive they feel their industry truly is.
Salary and Insight Surveys - from Paramount Recruitment - These break out salary data by gender and ethnicity.
There are some awards schemes that include D, E & I categories:
Business intelligence / pharma organisations:
Takeda - Their holistic DE&I strategy and execution was recently awarded “Best DE&I Initiative” at the Business Culture Awards 2022. To hear about this tune into the recording of the BHBIA's Walking the Talk: Developing a Diversity, Equity & Inclusion framework to engage and develop your people webinar, 10 Feb 2022, with guest speaker from Takeda (available to full BHBIA members only)
Hall & Partners - Commemorate Black History Month and Juneteenth with time for reflection and internal discussions/recommendations around relevant books/films. Have also have delivered a series of internal training sessions under the umbrella of ‘UnLearn’, for example: ‘Microaggressions’ discussion with Professor Tandalea Mercer, ‘Understanding and discussing cultural appropriation’ workshop, ‘Anti-racism and active allyship’ workshop.
McKinsey - how diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) matter - This 2020 report is the third in a series. It found that 'The business case for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) is stronger than ever. Taking a closer look at diversity winners reveals what can drive real progress.'
Narratives booklets from Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust:
- Wearing 2 hats - This forum has three themes; peer support, policies and procedures and stigma. Staff from across the Trust talk about their own lived experiences
- EDI stories - The power of narratives cannot be underestimated and these wonderful stories bring the whole agenda equity, diversity and inclusion agenda to life
- Recovery stories - stories of hope and how people have used their inner strength and resilience and a variety of tools to enhance their own wellness.
Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD): Inclusion and Diversity - A variety of resources to help promote and support equal opportunities and manage inclusion and diversity in the workplace.
- Includes: Diversity Management that Works - report based on an evidence-into-practice programme, which brought together professional expertise on diversity and inclusion (D&I) with insights from scientific research.
Cultural Intelligence Training and other resources - from Common Purpose - A not-for-profit organization that promotes 'Cultural Intelligence (CQ) - the ability to cross divides – between geographies, generations, sectors, specializations, backgrounds and beliefs – and thrive in multiple cultures.'
Diversity & Inclusion - resources from cultureamp.com - This organisation provides employee engagement, performance and development tools including some useful DE&I resources. Includes a downloadable booklet: '6 actionable areas to improve DEI in your workplace'.
Embracing Equality and Diversity - Irwin Mitchell podcast - A discussion of studies which demonstrate the commercial benefits to businesses who embrace equality and diversity as part of their model or structure.
Becoming an anti-racist organisation - MHFA England - Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England has launched guidance, with Chartered Management Institute and Business in the Community, to support the mental health and wellbeing of People of Colour and Black people in the workplace.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources - MIT Human Resources - This US-based organisation provides a range of DE&I resources including a Decision Tree framework to help managers and leaders determine team goals, commitment, and support needs.
Inclusion Wins - Has been recognised for its excellent counsel and consulting services.
Novoresume - Diversity in the Workplace - 7 Benefits & 5 Challenges of Diversity in the Workplace, How to Promote Diversity in the Workplace, How to Get Hired at a Company That Values Diversity, 10 Real-Life Examples of Companies Promoting Diversity in the Workplace, Job-Search Resources for Under-Represented Groups.
Colour of Research CORe - Articles and Essays - CORe is 'A colourful, global community, driven to bring about more diversity in a monochromatic research industry'.
Investing in Ethnicity - A UK-focused organization that provides learning, networking, and resources focused on ethnic minority populations.
Kora Talent Group - is a recruitment agency that focuses on helping people from all backgrounds and genders reach their potential by matching them with the right organisation.
FDM Recruitment - Provides a good programme focused on recruiting for diversity.
Many of the resources in the IMPLEMENTING DE&I INTERNALLY section (above) also address recruitment practices as part of the whole picture.
MRS Diversity, Inclusion & Equality Council - Diversity and Inclusion Best Practice Guidance May 2022 - Three guides covering sampling, methodology and language. The first of their kind in the UK, they act as a framework for research professionals to help ensure diverse sampling and inclusive methodologies. Although aimed at client-side practitioners they also provide value for researchers working on the supply side.
MRS Best Practice Guide on Collecting Ethnicity Sample Data March 2022 - MRS has produced this Best Practice Guide to help practitioners act legally and ethically in collecting data and asking research participants questions on ethnicity.
How to measure Diversity and Inclusion for a stronger workplace - SurveyMonkey - Guidance and templates for DE&I surveys.
Demographic Questions - SmartSurvey - Guidance on how to ask demographic questions, including topics such as ethnicity, gender and age.
MORE THAN NUMBERS: A Guide Toward Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in Data Collection - Schusterman Family Philanthropies is a global organization that seeks to improve lives, strengthen communities and advance equity. This guide is designed to help make your data collection 'intentional, inclusive and equitable'.
A collection of useful resources from the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) - This UK organisation is dedicated to supporting medical research charities in saving and improving lives through research and innovation. Their resources may be helpful to those conducting patient research.
BOBI Awards - winning entries that promote DE&I:
- 2023 Best Patient Centric Approach winner: 'Shining a Light on the Inequality of Cancer Outcomes Across the UK' - how insights from under-represented, hard-to-reach groups illuminated the lived experiences and stories of patients, feeding into a nationwide campaign seeking to address inequalities.
- 2019 Best Patient Centric Approach winner: ‘Mission made possible’ - insight into the needs of a marginalised and vulnerable community, laying the foundations for a patient-centric strategy that supports delivery of the shared goal of HCV elimination.
- 2016 Excellence in Data Collection and Fieldwork winner: 'Reaching further: big collaboration overcomes the challenges of accessing hard to reach populations' - tackling the association between certain socio-economic and ethnic groups and lower levels of uptake of the HPV vaccine amongst young girls.
BHBIA meeting materials / webinar recordings (available to full BHBIA members only):
- Creating Truly Patient-centric Materials - 2020 BHBIA webinar - Run by OPEN Health, this webinar provides guiding principles for developing patient materials
- Health Equity and Understanding the True Patient Population - BHBIA Virtual Conference 2021 sponsored session - Origins Health Insights discuss health equity and accessing the true patient population
Ethnicity, age and gender data from the 2011 government census of England and Wales - government population data
Kantar - Kantar’ have made information available about their Inclusion and Diversity practices (incl. Kantar Profiles Network which have been widely recognised for their activities). This includes ways they have helped clients measure DE&I parameters.
Association for Talent Development - 'Stumped on How to Measure DEI Training?' - This article discusses how to set goals and measure progress
MRSpride - A network uniting LGBTQ+ professionals and allies across the research, insight and analytics sector.
Stonewall - Stonewall stand for lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queer, questioning and ace (LGBTQ+) people everywhere.
The Definitive Guide To Disability Inclusion In The Workplace - This guide (from 'Ben', an employee benefits platform), explores the key aspects of disability in the workplace in depth, providing insight into how inclusive company policies and working styles tend to be (or tend not to be), as well as showcasing key data. Also looks at what methods companies can use to ensure a more inclusive culture. By making disability inclusion a priority, businesses can help drive motivation, engagement, and talent retention at work.
Everything You Need To Know About Workplace Hair Discrimination – article from XRS Beauty
Example Company Policies - These sample policies have kindly been provided by one of our member companies: