BHBIA Legal and Ethical Guidelines for Healthcare Market Research: Your essential guide
NEW June 2020: The latest Legal and Ethical Guidelines now include practical examples to bring the guidance to life
The new-look Guidelines
The Guidelines themselves are unchanged but they now include almost 60 practical examples in the form of questions and answers (Q&As) – these are marked by a question mark within an orange circle – look out for this symbol and click to open the examples.
Click on the DOWNLOADS link on the right hand side of this web page to view/download your copy.
You should find that the document opens in Adobe Reader, which is needed to optimise the new functionality. If this does not happen automatically, you may need to save the document and then open it with Adobe.
(If you don't have Adobe Reader you can click here to install it, or visit the App store if you are on a mobile device)
Benefits of the new format:
- By combining these examples within the Guidelines, we hope we have made it easier for you to understand the practical impact of the laws and regulations;
- You’ll find the examples alongside the relevant section of the Guidelines;
- They are quick to access and easy to read;
- The questions are based on real-life members’ enquiries and issues;
- The content reflects commissioning client, market research and fieldwork agency perspectives;
- There is no longer the need for a separate FAQ resource – so you have a ‘one stop shop’ for your legal and ethical guidelines needs (Appendix N provides a full list of all the questions that are now covered by the practical examples).
Thanks to all the members
of the BHBIA Ethics & Compliance Committee for contributing to the new-look
About the Guidelines generally
The BHBIA Legal and Ethical Guidelines include everything you need, in one place, to keep your market research project running smoothly from a legal and ethical point of view - saving you time and trouble.
- Legal do’s and don’ts
- Data protection unravelled (GDPR / UK Data Protection Act 2018 requirements are built in throughout)
- Best practice recommendations
- Step-by-step through a project (This makes the Guidelines easy to navigate, and you can also search on key words for the information you need)
- Terms made easy
- Ready-to-use forms
The Guidelines are updated every year, and changes since the previous version are clearly indicated so that you can see what’s new.
Other useful resources
For your convenience the pro formas (found in the appendix section of the Legal and Ethical Guidelines) are also available in word format for ease of use.View details / Download Pro Formas
If you have a query about the Guidelines - or any legal or ethical query about UK healthcare market research that's not answered in the Guidelines - please use the guidelines Online Enquiries service (full BHBIA members only).
The BHBIA provides a separate Data Analytics Guidelines series. These guides provide clear guidance on the legal and ethical implications of using secondary data for market research and associated business intelligence purposes such as database building or customer relationship management.